Material Transfer Agreement University Of Pittsburgh

Freda Stelzer is responsible for non-monetar agreements at the University of the Research Foundation. In addition to overseeing material transfer agreements, Freda is also responsible for the development and negotiation of confidentiality and inter-institutional agreements, as well as the review and analysis of the University of Iowa`s Department of Sponsored Programs regarding the intellectual property conditions contained in non-monetary agreements and sub-prices received by outside parties. Universities spend millions of dollars and immeasurable hours negotiating terms and processing hundreds of thousands of MTAs a year. And since MTAs can have serious consequences for the rights of the resulting inventions, future licensing agreements and publication rights, this is not a process to be taken lightly or rushed. How MTAs are negotiated and managed can also have a significant impact on your company`s productivity, as volume and processing time can be combined to overload an already overburdened employee. In order to facilitate broad access to research resources, the university encourages its researchers to consider depositioning university-owned research tools at permanent storage sites for further distribution. Examples may be entities like Jackson Labs or Addgene. Researchers who identify an interest repository that accepts materials can use MyRA to send an MTA (transfer direction – shipment) to the Office of Sponsored Programs for such filings. For any questions about deposits, please contact 412-624-7419.

As a general rule, sending materials for incoming materials requires the use of a separate MTA form. For the transfer of outgoing material, UH has standard MTA agreements on the DOR website to cover these materials. Whether the equipment is in or out, these agreements are negotiated by the research department. How to use the material: Please add a copy of the documentation indicating ethical authorization for use, or specify why no ethical authorization is required. Under the U.S. Export Control Act, a license may be required from the Bureau of Industry and Security or the Commerce Department for the export of certain materials. For example, human pathogens, zoonoses, toxins, animal pathogens, genetically modified microorganisms, plant pathogens, radioactive materials, magnetic metals, propellants and ceramic materials. Anyone considering transferring materials controlled by the Commerce Department or the State Department outside the United States should work with UH export control officer Sandy Brown to obtain the necessary license. There are civil and criminal penalties for violations of export management regulations. A material transfer contract (MTA) is a contract that governs the transfer of research material between two organizations when the recipient intends to use it for his or her own research purposes. The MTA defines the rights of the supplier and recipient with respect to materials and derivatives.

For incoming MTAs (since the owner of the research equipment determines the conditions under which he wishes to share the material with our university), the PI/PI department should secure the MTA proposed by the owner of the research equipment The Clinical/Corporate Contracts services team handles both incoming MTAs, where the university receives research materials from other institutions, and outgoing MTAs, where we share the university`s research materials with other companies.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.